Last year I really branched out when it came to foundations, I tried and tested so many (and in the end went back to my old favourite). Being an avid wearer of double wear can sometimes lead me into wanting something just a little more sheer and dewy for those unmade-up days - enter NARS Sheer Glow which sounds like the perfect, completely opposite alternative. I knew nothing of NARS Sheer Glow before seeing it in Space NK and liking the sound of it, the assistant colour matched me and off I went with my new purchase in tow. This little story doesn't have a happy ending however, I have a bone to pick with NARS over this seemingly misleading foundation…
Sheer Glow claims to leave a natural, radiant finish on your skin whilst delivering hydration for softer, smoother skin and an even skin tone.
It's been a 'love for about a month and hate for the next five' relationship with me - at first it was glorious, beautiful…like the first month of a new relationship. And then something changed and it just stopped being so great (now isn't that a paragraph to remind you of 500 Days of Summer or what). It just didn't look good anymore and gradually got worse and worse. I've tried for six months to make this work for me and now I give up - nothing I do can make it look good and I mean nothing, no amount of exfoliating, primer, slathering on moisturiser or even mixing it with an illuminating fluid or repair serum like Advanced Night Repair will make it work for me. I've even tried changing the way I apply foundation to prevent micro-exfoliation of my skin…and still it does not change the finish.
So what's so bad about it? Everything, I can't actually think of one thing I like about it except, at a push, the colour match. The packaging is awful, my bottle topper lid started cracking about a month into use rather oddly and now it constantly seems to leak out of nowhere. The formula is so drying, I have quite dry skin anyway but it takes double wear absolutely fine with no problems, yet this foundation just makes it look flat, it clings to dry patches and makes my skin look unhealthy. The finish is quite 'wet', if I touch my face the foundation comes off in an odd oily patch on my finger (gross…) yet it looks like it's dried completely down on my skin. I just can't make it work for me and so I'm done, this is not the sheer, dewy, glowy, hydration-delivering foundation I bought into.
My colour is 'Light 4 Deauville' which I'm very pleased with, I'm usually an Estée Lauder Desert Beige perfect match for your reference on shade. The colour selection is okay, not hugely extensive and mainly neutral toned but it does cover right through from pale to deep skin tones. The formula is a thick fluid, it's a little bit creamy and best applies with a brush, if I use my fingers it just moves about all over the place rather than settling into place. I'd personally say this is a medium coverage foundation, you can build it but I wouldn't recommend doing that because it goes terribly thick and cakey.

This is a wholly negative review over a foundation that I really wanted to love, really I did. I read reviews after purchasing and on the whole a lot of people seem to be unhappy except the odd lucky few who have made it work for them. I think this foundation is absolutely not what it says it is, it is a semi (totally in my case) matte finish foundation that is not glowy at all, it isn't even particularly sheer because in one application with a buffing brush it gives me medium-full coverage. I think it's just been labelled incorrectly which led me into purchasing a foundation which I thought would be one thing and is in fact something else entirely. I'm not going to waste my money on it though, in Summer I'll be mixing it with my moisturiser to create a tinted moisturiser to wear to the beach. 

What can I say, you might love this and you might loathe this. I would urge anyone considering buying this to ask for a tester before purchasing and use it once a week for four weeks to see how it changes with your skin over time. Don't impulse purchase like I did and end up very disappointed.

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation costs £30.50 from NARS stockists.

32 comments:

  1. I felt the same about this. My skin isn't dry at all, however this seemed to find dry patches and stick to them, making my skin look horrible! I returned mine because I had only had it for a little while. I really wanted it to be light and dewy but it really wasn't. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so annoying that it doesn't even come with a pump for a £30 and the fact that it wasn't how it was marketed is even worse!
    http://thelipstickthegirlandherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a shame that this story didn't have a happy ending! I'm so scared to try high end foundations because of the price! If I don't like them, so much money goes down the drain!

    Stephanie
    http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk/
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So surprised by this review, such a shame it didn't work for you! I used it for 3 years and had no problems or complaints x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried this, but I have tried (and loved) the neutrogena healthy skin foundation that is supposed to be a dupe for this. maybe I'll just stick with that! I'm sorry this didn't end up working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same about the NARS Sheer matte, I haven't experimented with the Sheer Glow as much but after reading this review it's more likely to be the same. It's a shame really because the colours matches are pretty damn good!

    www.petitebeautyblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh how terrible ! I'm saving up to finally purchase it but now I'm afraid this will happem

    ReplyDelete
  8. For £30.50, the break up with Sheer Glow must have hurt you so bad Holly. I feel for you. I have yet to make a high end foundation purchase and this offering from Nars was one of the foundations that I've had my eye on as a possible contender but thank God I read your review. I have quite the dry skin too so you just saved me some moolah and for that I thank you. Claims of being hydrating but instead leaves the skin feeling dry and clings onto dry patches? Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually love the foundation. But the price is just ridiculous. My revlon color stay does the job better than that one. I do regret buying it even though I do like it A LOT. I just dont feel like it's worth the $44 USD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no that is such a shame, I've only heard positive things so far and I was looking for my first high end foundation:/ I think I need to get some samples <3
    http://sparklyghosts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have really oily skin, so was hoping to try NARS Sheer Matte foundation. I wonder if if would be better than this one? I'll definitely be getting my hands on a tester before purchasing after reading this post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a shame, for the price you would defintiely be hoping for a lot better. we'll have to make sure we get a tester before buying of their foundations for ourselves. Thanks for the post, otherwise we would have probably gone out and bought this foundation for ourselves!

    www.mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's such a shame. I wonder why it worked at the beginning and then just stopped. Hate it when that happens. At least you gave it a really good go, 6 months of using it when you're not happy with it is dedication. I have dry skin too so I may give this one a miss, but I'm on the look out for lighter foundations with the summer coming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a sample of this and it wasn't amazing, it highlighted dry areas :(

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post, babe!

    I just wanted to let you know that I'm hosting a luxurious skin care GIVEAWAY:
    http://mirnahuhoja.com/post/75903035546/its-time-for-a-giveaway-creator-of-the-worlds

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I purchased this foundations around a year and a half ago or so and I found I had the exact same problem with it! I'm not a fan x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I purchased this foundations around a year and a half ago or so and I found I had the exact same problem with it! I'm not a fan x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE double wear, I've tried a few high end foundations, but to me nothing comes close x

    Small giveaway on my blog

    staceyshiddenbeauty.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Was thinking of trying this out but may be having second thoughts! May have to test it out one day, I've heard such mixed reviews. Great post! :)

    beautybyellaxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey this is divine!
    follow and check out blog,
    http://www.stylebeautygossip.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was thinking of trying this because I thought it would give a nice sheer, glowy finish (as the name suggests!), but I'm so glad I've found your in depth review. It must be so frustrating because it's not like it's a cheap product!
    cosmoopolitan.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel exactly the same about this foundation! The colour match is perfect, I wear the shade Siberia which is the lightest & I could not find any foundation that was that light. I had to pay about 35 Pounds for it because I am not from the UK and I really regret wasting my money on this product. I would love to go back to another foundation but I feel like they don't work for me colour wise :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have the same foundation and I love how perfect it is on my skin. It leaves a perfect finish, glowy and sheer. Really makes my face looks flawless and fresh. Quite pricey but it really is worth the money.


    www.FashionContainer.com
    xx, Malena

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have the same issues and more! First when I bought it it must have brrn faulty because the lid wouldn't close in line with the square bottle then the inner cap broke so now its messy when I need to use. Next I tried applying it different ways and it appears to bring out dry patches that I might not even had before. BUT the worst of it all is it looked so So cakey half hour after use and kept on CRACKING around mouth, chin and upper lip! I don't know what to do I reqlly want to make this foundation work help!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just found your site through google.Thanks for sharing a beautiful and high quality information.I am watching Women Dresses . Its interesting ..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank goodness I'm not alone! I bought this a couple of weeks ago and I just can't get it to work for me. It seems to settle into pores and is q sticky and thick when applied. I can't figure out what is going wrong. My favourite foundation is Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua and I wish I had just stuck to that!

    www.mybeautopia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the honest review, I'm was thinking of buying this but will definitely try and get hold of a tester before buying the full size!

    Ella x

    http://truthfullyella.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice packaging.

    the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi. this is the same for me. my skin is oily with no dryness but suddenly my entire face has dry patchy bits. if you contact nars customer service you are able to claim your money back if it irritated your skin
    steph

    http://sugarandspiceandallthingsnice1.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I heard so many mixed reviews about this foundation but I still kinda want to give it a go :)

    Glassow

    ReplyDelete
  31. I always wanted to try a Nars foundation but don't seem to find a light enough shade, but it just sounds and looks really nice!

    Much love xxx
    CHRISTINANISTA.COM

    ReplyDelete
  32. In makeup, what works for me might now work for you. Sad to know that Nars Sheer glow foundation didn’t work well with your skin, but on mine, it is perfect match!
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Nars Philippines

    ReplyDelete

© All content Copyright to Holly Arabella unless stated otherwise.